April 04, 2019 14:59:41
The Australian man who carried out the Christchurch massacre has been charged with 50 counts of murder and 39 counts of attempted murder.
- The fresh charges against Tarrant were released in a written statement by New Zealand Police
- Police said other charges were still under consideration
- His case will be heard in the Christchurch High Court on April 5
New Zealand Police announced the fresh charges against Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, in a written statement on Thursday afternoon.
Tarrant was arrested on March 15 for his involvement in the shooting deaths of 50 people at two mosques in Christchurch and charged with one count of murder, but police indicated further charges would be laid.
Police said other charges were still under consideration.
The former personal trainer stormed two mosques in Christchurch with a number of high-powered weapons and live streamed the attack online, in what is alleged to be the single worst terrorist attack carried out by an Australian.
Tarrant’s case will be heard in the Christchurch High Court on Friday.
Tarrant live-streamed the attack online and posted a rambling “manifesto” describing his motivations.
He worked as a personal trainer at a gym in Grafton after he finished school, before travelling overseas to Asia and Europe in the years prior to last month’s attack.
He used money he made from Bitconnect, a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, to fund his travels.
April 04, 2019 14:26:27