Bourke Street ‘trolley man’ charged with burglary, bail offences

0
170
Bourke Street ‘trolley man’ charged with burglary, bail offences

news image

Posted

November 17, 2018 09:23:06

The homeless man who confronted the Bourke Street terrorist with a trolley, prompting an online campaign to raise more than $140,000, has been charged with five offences.

Michael Rogers, the so-called “trolley man”, drew widespread praise for pushing the trolley repeatedly at Hassan Khalif Shire Ali as the 30-year-old man attempted to stab police.

Shire Ali stabbed three men — fatally wounding Pellegrini’s Espresso Bar co-owner Sisto Malaspina — before he was shot in the chest by police and later died in hospital.

On Thursday, it was revealed police wanted to question Mr Rogers over recent burglaries in the Melbourne CBD and St Kilda areas, and breaching bail conditions.

Mr Rogers, 46, went to the Melbourne West Police Station around 10:00pm on Friday night.

He was charged with two counts of burglary, two counts of theft, and committing an indictable offence while on bail.

He has been remanded in custody to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates Court today.

Mr Rogers’ actions on Bourke Street prompted an online fundraiser which has raised more than $140,000.

Yesterday, Donna Stolzenberg, who set up the fundraiser for Mr Rogers, said she was with him on Thursday after he learnt through the media that police were keen to speak with him.

“We have to remember these were things that happened prior to Friday as well,” she said.

“He actually doesn’t really know what they are, so when I asked him about what they might be he said ‘I don’t know’ … but he’s quite keen to speak to police to actually figure out what’s going on and get it sorted.

“He’s still the same person as before last night’s newsbreak.”

On Monday, Mr Rogers told 7.30 he felt other people were more deserving of “hero” status than him.

“I’m not saying what I did wasn’t good, but you know, you’ve got the police, you’ve got the Army, you’ve got the ambulance — you’ve got better heroes than me,” he said.

“I’m grateful, but I’m not in the same league as others.”

The fund’s website says it will be held in a trust account to ensure he “is well taken care of and guided financially as he moves forward”.

Earlier this week, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton told ABC Radio Melbourne he understood that Mr Rogers had intervened “instinctively”, but warned that in general, the public should stand back when police were responding to a situation.

Mr Rogers said on the weekend he was “no hero” and was simply trying to help when he thrust the trolley at Shire Ali.

Topics:

burglary,

crime,

law-crime-and-justice,

melbourne-3000,

vic



More
stories from Victoria

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here