Man bitten by shark in same Whitsundays area as previous attacks

0
153
Man bitten by shark in same Whitsundays area as previous attacks

news image

Updated

November 05, 2018 19:59:28

Emergency crews have arrived at the scene of another shark attack near Cid Harbour off the north Queensland coast, the same area where two other people were mauled in September.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) said a man in his 40s had suffered injuries to his leg and arm.

The QAS said the latest attack occurred at 5:37pm on Monday.

It was dark by the time paramedics arrived by helicopter to treat the man, making their task more complicated.

On September 19, Tasmanian woman Justine Barwick was mauled on the leg by a shark while swimming in Cid Harbour on Whitsunday Island around 5:00pm.

She lost a lot of blood and authorities believed the presence of an emergency doctor on a nearby boat saved her life.

Less than a day later, a 12-year-old girl from Melbourne was bitten on the leg by a shark at Cid Harbour and rushed to Mackay Base Hospital in a critical condition.

In response to the attacks, Queensland Fisheries deployed drum line shark baits in Cid Harbour, and six potentially dangerous sharks were culled.

They included four tiger sharks, one of which was 3.7 metres long.

At that time, Fisheries was unable to say whether that shark had been responsible for either of the September attacks.

Fisheries Minister Mark Furner said Cid Harbour was not covered by the State Government’s shark control program, which operates at 85 Queensland beaches.

Marine conservation groups attacked the Government over the capture and killing of the sharks.

A Humane Society International spokesperson said the response was futile.

Topics:

shark,

emergency-incidents,

whitsundays-4802

First posted

November 05, 2018 19:26:13



More
stories from Queensland

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here